Sunday, July 14, 2013

 

"I had warned Mom about August's face. I had described what he looked like. I did this because I know she's not always good at faking her feelings, and August was coming over for the first time today." pg. 127
This reminded me of how as a mother I have explained to my kids time and time again that first impressions are so important and how we react and what we say will be remembered, so be careful. I loved how it was the child asking his mother to be mindful. This rings so true, because even as adults we have a tendency to judge the package instead of its contents and react with disgust even when we don't know we are.  The mother struggles to hide the expression on her face at first, an expression of horror that she did not even realize she was portraying.

No comments:

Post a Comment